Congratulations are in order! The ReWild Team at San Diego Audubon Society was selected as this year’s Wetlands Award Recipient for the first annual AD-77 Environmental Hero Awards! Assemblymember Tasha Boerner honored the work that ReWild has done for wetlands on Saturday, October 7th.
To name a few of the Coalition’s efforts this past year:
- Organized a 20-page ReWild letter on the City’s draft De Anza Natural Preliminary Environmental Impact Report (PEIR).
- Discussed the scientific basis for wetland restoration on podcasts and in meetings with council members and city staff.
- Hosted bimonthly volunteer activities to engage the community, such as fish seining, track pick-up, and carbon sequestration.
- Co-hosted Love Your Wetlands Day at Kendall Frost Marsh in Mission Bay.
- Organized press events to spread awareness.
- Presented and spoke at many community and city meetings, clarifying that wetland restoration is not in in opposition to recreational usage but would, in fact, provide nature-based recreational, educational, and scenic value for park users.
The ReWild Coalition puts extraordinary effort into fighting for the enhancement, restoration, and protection of Mission Bay’s wetlands. We are grateful to District 77 for this honor and for standing with us in our fight.
Here are some photos from the event: